Sunday, May 14, 2006

Safe and Sound

5/9/2006

Hope this finds you all well.

Just wanted to let you all know that I have arrived safe and well in Namibia after many, many, many hours on a plane and minimal sleep. But, aside from the trouble of getting here, I can definitely say it is good to be back in Africa! I’ve missed it here and as the sun is going down, I’m reminded of how beautiful the sunset can be!

My flights were actually pretty good, and considering the distance that I travelled, didn’t take terribly long. From Atlanta to Johannesburg, I sat next to a very chipper man named Wally who is a 69 year old minister for the Church of the Nazarene and one of the heads of the Association of Evangelical Ministers in South Africa. During our 18 hours of being seat neighbours, Wally told me all about the things and people I should look for while here in Namibia and also all sorts of interesting things about his ministry, his family, and life in general in Southern Africa. I helped him to work the in-seat entertainment options and smiled when he would whistle hymns without thinking about it…all in all a pleasant journey.

Harold, the driver, picked me up at the airport, which is about 40 km outside of Windhoek. We are situated in the middle of a desert and there is next to nothing but scrub bush between the airport and the city…that and a couple of baboons on the side of the road (did I mention that I have missed Africa?). My hotel is in downtown Windhoek and is actually located in the middle of a shopping mall…so if I get bored, I can go wander around the shops a bit. I’ll start work in the morning, meeting with people in the office here and at some point the WHO delegation is supposed to arrive. In the meantime, I’m hanging out in my hotel, trying to stay awake until normal sleeping hours, and flipping between the soccer channel in English and the cycling channel in Italian…life is good :)!Hope you are all well! I’ll keep you posted as things continue.

Keep well,

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home