Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Last day . . .

5/19/2006

Well, we survived the final day of our meetings and after a lot of hard work, debating, meat eating, and planning, we have a strong start in the IMAI strategy for Namibia. Everyone left with their own list of things they must do to keep up the momentum of the meeting and if all goes according to plan we will be rolling out IMAI by year’s end.

At the end of the meeting, we all ate lunch together and took several pictures. The lodge was preparing for a new group to arrive who were having an awards celebration with a fiesta theme, so there were sombreros and southwestern themed decorations all over the place. I would not have been shocked to see some African Mariachis coming from the back room. It was really quite funny. After a brief “planning the next steps meeting” we packed up our trucks and headed back to Windhoek…and now the real work begins!

Toward the beginning of my first trip to southern Africa, I met a woman who was originally from the UK, but had been living in South Africa ever since she came here for a vacation. I asked her why she stayed, and her response was, “Once Africa has touched your heart, she will never leave you.”

At the time, I had an idea of what she meant, but it wasn’t until after I had spent more time here and experienced the place more fully, that I really began to understand this woman’s statement. Since then I have left and returned a few times, and no matter how long I’m gone, Africa remains with me…in small ways usually, but it has become a part of who I am. Africa is a place where I learned a lot about who I am and who I want to become. Africa taught me how to be still and quiet inside, she showed me how to laugh with my whole body, she fuelled my desire make things better than they are, and most importantly she allowed me to love more fully. I’m grateful to have been reminded of these things again on this trip, and as I return home I recognise that once again, Africa has touched my heart deeply, and she will never leave me.

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home